[Scons-dev] Should we remove python 3.5 from our CI tests

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jul 20 15:30:43 EDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-20 at 20:02 +0800, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> […]
>
> But the question was about Debian 9. Anyway 10th ships with Python
> 3.6
> https://packages.debian.org/buster/python3 and SCons 3 with python2
> as
> dependency, which is most unfortunate, because SConstructs will start
> to break not when SCons switched to next major version, but when next
> Debian hideously updates dependency to python3. =/

True but who uses Debian Stable for anything relating to software
development, it is a server distribution.

If SCons 3 has an explicit Python 2 only dependency that is wrong and
should be raised as a bug, it should depend on Python 3 or if that
fails Python 2.

Fedora Rawhide is most of the way to removing Python 2, but Debian
hasn't really properly started the campaign.

> But at least Python 3.5 can be forgotten.
>
> > +1 for dropping 2.7 ;-)
>
> 2.7 +1 == 2.8 =)

That will only happen if someone forks Python 2, PSF are never going to
do that.

Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077