[Scons-dev] Should we remove python 3.5 from our CI tests

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:11:31 EDT 2018

> True but who uses Debian Stable for anything relating to software
> development, it is a server distribution.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Debian is a "server
distribution". Lots of people use Debian as a desktop OS, and my team
uses Debian for software development.

I think SCons would be making a serious mistake if it dropped support
for Python 3.5. Just because the distro is using an older version of
SCons, doesn't mean that SCons shouldn't support the latest version of
Python available on the system.

This is particularly troublesome for me as I consider putting together
a new build image, based on Debian 9, but with latest SCons installed
from source.

I'm all for cleaning up old cruft, but it seems like removing support
for a version of Python that's less than 3 years old seems a bit
aggressive.