[Scons-dev] Python 3 compatability... RFH (request for help)

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sun Apr 9 11:26:06 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 5:32 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-04-08 at 12:07 -0400, Bill Deegan wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> […]
> > > When SCons does the program detection for the tools /opt/local/bin
> > > is
> > > searched but ~/Built/bin is not. So it is not using the users path,
> > > but
> > > is including the MacPorts location, so appears to be using the
> > > system
> > > path. When a compile job is spawned /opt/local/bin is not in the
> > > path
> > > searched for and so we get the output observed. This would imply
> > > that
> > > SCons is using it's own path and not the system path when spawning
> > > jobs.
> > >

> > As it should be.
>
> Really? The SCons search path for executables when initialising tools
> should be different from the SCons search path when trying to execute
> the tools executable. This I do not believe. Yet this is what SCons
> does. :-(

I was responding to what it does when it runs, not for detecting for tests.
Yes. I agree they should both find the same tools.
Though not from the users environment by default.

> > I have local mods to have the Platform/darwin.py optionally append
> > PATHOSX
> > (which comes from processing /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d/* for paths)
>
> As I understand it on Darwin those files are always processed to create
> a search path.  Why is SCons not just saying "OK OS give me your
> standard search path" – for all platforms. Why is SCons assuming it
> knows better than the platform what the platform's standard search path
> is?

The idea is that no matter what machine or user you are on you will get the
same build.
Picking up machine local paths (by default) would violate that goal.

> > Without those on I don't pick up dmd at all..
> > Should DMD be able to link with any gcc, or does it need to be the
> > version
> > it was built with?
>
> DMD is being found on my system at tool set up time, but not at tool
> executable execution time.

You sure. It's being found by test framework, and not by SCons.Tool.dmd
right?