[Scons-dev] Python 3 compatability... RFH (request for help)

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Apr 9 12:56:58 EDT 2017

On Sun, 2017-04-09 at 11:26 -0400, Bill Deegan wrote:

[…]
> I was responding to what it does when it runs, not for detecting for
> tests.
> Yes. I agree they should both find the same tools.
> Though not from the users environment by default.

Apologies, I think I got a bit inappropriately aggressive.

My excuse is that we have known about this disparate path problem for a
lot of months.

> The idea is that no matter what machine or user you are on you will
> get the
> same build.
> Picking up machine local paths (by default) would violate that goal.

On the other hand SCons then has to attempt to predict the "out of the
box" path for every environment. Also is reproducibility of this sort
actually a bit requirement. The same build on the same environment, yes
, definitely, but the same build on different environments, isn't that
a requirement too far?

> You sure. It's being found by test framework, and not by
> SCons.Tool.dmd
> right?

I shall speculate, as I am not sure exactly how to test this. Clearly
some assertions to flag inconsistency are needed.

The problem is the expansion of the command line and the value of DC.
During tool initialisation the executable is being found, so
/opt/local/bin in in the path, which implies using the OS not the SCons
trimmed down search path. This should set DC, but may be it doesn't.
The tools though thinks DC is set. The the compilation command is
issues and $DC evaluates to "". There must be a new search for the
previously found executable but now using the minimal search path which
now fails.

It is now drinkies time, so I better not try to be sensible any more.
:-)

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk