[Scons-dev] Python 3 compatability... RFH (request for help)

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Apr 9 05:32:57 EDT 2017

On Sat, 2017-04-08 at 12:07 -0400, Bill Deegan wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
> wrote:

[…]
> > When SCons does the program detection for the tools /opt/local/bin
> > is
> > searched but ~/Built/bin is not. So it is not using the users path,
> > but
> > is including the MacPorts location, so appears to be using the
> > system
> > path. When a compile job is spawned /opt/local/bin is not in the
> > path
> > searched for and so we get the output observed. This would imply
> > that
> > SCons is using it's own path and not the system path when spawning
> > jobs.
> >

> As it should be.

Really? The SCons search path for executables when initialising tools
should be different from the SCons search path when trying to execute
the tools executable. This I do not believe. Yet this is what SCons
does. :-(

> I have local mods to have the Platform/darwin.py optionally append
> PATHOSX
> (which comes from processing /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d/* for paths)

As I understand it on Darwin those files are always processed to create
a search path.  Why is SCons not just saying "OK OS give me your
standard search path" – for all platforms. Why is SCons assuming it
knows better than the platform what the platform's standard search path
is?

> Without those on I don't pick up dmd at all..
> Should DMD be able to link with any gcc, or does it need to be the
> version
> it was built with?

DMD is being found on my system at tool set up time, but not at tool
executable execution time.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk