[Scons-dev] Hg vs Git

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 04:42:01 EST 2016

On Sun, 2016-11-27 at 14:11 -0500, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> > The point here is that someone can mutate a branch locally and then
>
> force it to the mainline.
>
> No, that is specifically what protected branches prevent. If "master"
> is
> protected, then no one, not even an admin, can re-write history and
> force
> push to it.

So if BitBucket supports this, the admins for the mainline SCons and
SCons-Contrib repositories should mark all the branches as protected?

> Personally, I find the rewriting extremely powerful for my local
> development - I can re-arrange, split, and join commits in my feature
> branch before it is merged into master. Very few people are
> interested in
> rewriting history of a published tree.

I have never been a user of history rewriting as I tend to publish all
my repositories all the time. Maybe my workfow and approach is wrong,
and that I should keep all work private and so rebasable and squashable
in both Hg and Git until the point of publishing for the pull request?

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk