[Scons-dev] Hg vs Git

rupert THURNER rupert.thurner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:07:11 EST 2016

On Nov 28, 2016 10:42, "Russel Winder" <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2016-11-27 at 14:11 -0500, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> > Personally, I find the rewriting extremely powerful for my local
> > development - I can re-arrange, split, and join commits in my feature
> > branch before it is merged into master. Very few people are
> > interested in
> > rewriting history of a published tree.
>
> I have never been a user of history rewriting as I tend to publish all
> my repositories all the time. Maybe my workfow and approach is wrong,
> and that I should keep all work private and so rebasable and squashable
> in both Hg and Git until the point of publishing for the pull request?

Personally I like somebody else looking at my commit, giving feedback and I
then improve it. There are many ways to achieve this. You could just share
via email like done in Linux. Change a commit for a new pull request. Do a
git Gerrit like workflow and push to a mutable branch. Mercurial goes a
step further and marks commits as "draft". A little bit long but might be
worth a read:
http://www.gerg.ca/evolve/sharing.html,
http://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2014/06/23/please-stop-using-mq/

Rupert