[Scons-dev] Hg vs Git

Tim Jenness tjenness at lsst.org
Mon May 9 15:44:58 EDT 2016

> On May 9, 2016, at 12:39 , Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> I understand that for you, and Tim, using git it would be less of a hindrance to simply
> "check in" the changes and extensions for SCons that you seem to have in the hopper.
> But I'm interested in increasing activity in the "long run" for the project. ;)

I’m absolutely not saying that scons should switch to git just to lower my activation energy (there’s not guarantee that I’d be able to contribute even if you did). I was just explaining why I’m having trouble contributing to the python 3 work. If it turns out that all the core developers are either ambivalent about it  or pro-git then it probably would be a good thing to do in terms of lowering the barrier to entry for external contributors (but then in the current climate the github+git would be better for that than bitbucket+git). If the core developers are more comfortable with hg then it would seem a bit risky to switch.

—
Tim Jenness