[Scons-dev] Hg vs Git

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon May 9 15:39:58 EDT 2016

Hi there,

On 09.05.2016 16:57, Rob Boehne wrote:
> For me, scons is the ONLY project I work on that uses Mercurial, and
> having to translate each and every command is a real pain.
> I¹ve also NOT contributed back many changes I¹ve made to get Python to
> build properly on old UNIX systems, primarily because it was using Hg.

and because you don't use an IDE (like Eclipse) that would support both
DVCS in a transparent fashion, and because you don't want to use a git-hg
bridge?

> I doubt I¹m alone in this, and I¹m certain it¹s a lot easier to find a
> competent developer who knows Git but has never used Mercurial than the
> other way around.

I'm one of the latter category, and obviously a dying species ;) according to:

   http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2016-January/003374.html

Don't let me hinder progress, and feel free to switch to git at any time...but
I then won't be much of a help when it comes to updating the workflow descriptions
in the Wiki or helping out newcomers with DVCS problems.

> This is an extra effort for most developers, and that
> extra effort will get more common, and more painful as the years go by.
> IMHO switching to Git is a clear win.

<devils_advocate>
When we're talking about things like "effort" and "git as being less painful", I'd
like to renew my call for pointers to large open-source projects that have switched
to git as DVCS (from hg preferably):

   http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2016-January/003358.html

Does anyone have a concrete example of a project that experienced a giant productivity
boost, based on a switch of the DVCS?
I understand that for you, and Tim, using git it would be less of a hindrance to simply
"check in" the changes and extensions for SCons that you seem to have in the hopper.
But I'm interested in increasing activity in the "long run" for the project. ;)

So, if you say that you're planning to get an active contributor, ready to help out on the mailing lists and squashing a bug now and
then...well, then you win me over pretty fast. :)
</devils_advocate>

Finally, the obligatory pointers to the archives for this and related discussion(s):

   http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2016-January/003344.html
   http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/scons-dev/2016-January/003352.html