[Scons-dev] Hg vs Git

Mark A. Flacy mflacy at verizon.net
Mon May 9 22:21:02 EDT 2016

Hmm.

I've used (in order, more or less), PLS (which I expect nobody to know), Clearcase, RCS, CVS, Arch,
TLA, HG, BZR, and Git.  I won't claim to have used svn in any real sense.

The first 4 of that list were centralized version control systems and so not applicable to this
discussion.

Of arch, tla, hg, bzr, and git, I'd say that I enjoyed bzr over hg for a rather long time.  Now that I've
used git, I think that git has the correct distributed model over hg and bzr.

Once you realize that git doesn't require history to be immutable (but once you've shared history,
you have a problem if you change it), you'll find that you can do a lot of things that simply are not
possible with hg and bzr.  (That's not entirely true; the patch queue for hg allowed you to do some
things that you can do with git but with a tremendous amount of pain.)

Mr. Bächle, you should try to use git for a couple of your internal projects.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/leo-editor contains *somewhere* a statement from Mr.
Ream that he was able to do things with git that he was unable to do with bzr.

--
Mark A. Flacy
/mflacy at verizon.net/