[Scons-dev] Code of conduct?

Tim Jenness tjenness at lsst.org
Thu Dec 10 12:10:52 EST 2015

> On Dec 10, 2015, at 09:59 , Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com> wrote:
>
> I don't see it that way. I see it as a proactive, positive step.

+1

> Look, right now there's a lot of, well, not-so-nice people in the world. Many of them hang out online. This isn't PC, it's a fact of modern life. This isn't going to get better; I think it's getting worse if anything. Saying "hey, we're a friendly and welcoming community" isn't pandering, it's accepting that not everyone is nice, but saying we aim to be.

The scons list has been fine in the 6 months I’ve been here. Funnily enough it is only this recent code of conduct debate that has worried me with talk of victims and SJW.

I think a code of conduct would be great and I imagine it would have zero effect on this community internally. The code of conduct is also an outwards facing item, though, that indicates to people that scons is welcoming to new people asking questions. Why would we object to that?

—
Tim Jenness