[Scons-dev] Code of conduct?

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 14:27:42 EST 2015

I'm not opposed to a CoC; I'm just a skeptic neutral party.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Tim Jenness <tjenness at lsst.org> wrote:

> > On Dec 10, 2015, at 09:59 , Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I don't see it that way. I see it as a proactive, positive step.
> >

> +1
>
> > Look, right now there's a lot of, well, not-so-nice people in the world.
> Many of them hang out online. This isn't PC, it's a fact of modern life.
> This isn't going to get better; I think it's getting worse if anything.
> Saying "hey, we're a friendly and welcoming community" isn't pandering,
> it's accepting that not everyone is nice, but saying we aim to be.
>
> The scons list has been fine in the 6 months I’ve been here. Funnily
> enough it is only this recent code of conduct debate that has worried me
> with talk of victims and SJW.
>
> I think a code of conduct would be great and I imagine it would have zero
> effect on this community internally. The code of conduct is also an
> outwards facing item, though, that indicates to people that scons is
> welcoming to new people asking questions. Why would we object to that?

I just think that people are innocent until proven guilty. If your
organization needs a CoC, then I think that says something about the
organization or perhaps about society. I am a skeptic of anyone who needs
to wave a flag around saying that "we are descent people, believe us!" I
see a CoC as that flag. I try not to judge, but it's the pessimist in me...

I think that people who don't need to read the CoC will behave
appropriately, and those who won't behave appropriately won't read the CoC.
It isn't that people don't know the rules, some people just don't care.

This is my last post on this topic. I defer my judgement to the admins to
do as they see appropriate.

V/R,
William