[Scons-dev] Packaging logic?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:43:29 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
wrote:

> Jason,
>
> I'm in agreement.
> I think it would be great if the primary way for users to install SCons
> was via pip (and virtualenv if they like, which I do).

This is a can of worms IMO. SCons is not tool for Python programmers, so if
you do that, you will require people to learn about Python packaging, which
is an unnecessary hell. If the tools is needed by Python programmers, then
plz. state how exactly.

Put the real world need first - what are you trying to achieve with that,
excluding the "consistency with Python world"?

The primary function and the way of using SCons for me (and my vision for
everybody else) is to be a build tool that can be put into source
repository, so that you can directly build after checkout without messing
with "apt-get/yum/pip install ..." and friends.