[Scons-dev] Packaging logic?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:32:33 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Kenny, Jason L <jason.l.kenny at intel.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> I been fixing up Parts packaging logic so it is pip and wheel friendly. I
> was wonder what are the plans for SCons on this front? It seems to me that
> this should not be that complex for us to do in SCons. I just noticed there
> is a lot of work going on in the current scripts with coping data around.
> Is all this needed for a reason.

Yes. I think that SCons scripts should move packaging into the separate
Tool. I've been working on definition of Python source package and wrapping
an executable .zip for that.

>  I guess the real question is that:
>

> Do we need to have SCons not install as a python package?

Yes. Copying SCons into project source tree is it's primary feature for me.

> Minus the standalone install case. What value are we getting from this? I
> know for me this makes extending SCons harder as there is odd logic to find
> the real “path” to import SCons.
>

> I would like to propose simplifying this to make a pip friendly install of
> SCons.
>

> Any thoughts?

The thought that we still didn't deal with our competence debt that we
don't know all the use ways SCons was designed to support. I am not
touching https://xkcd.com/1172/

https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/pull-request/113/fix-for-bug-2769-which-should-allow-scons/diff#comment-1381011

So before any +1 or -1 I'd like to see something like above committed to be
able to meditate on that when I have more braincells available for
processing.
--
anatoly t.