[Scons-dev] Buildbot, Java and D...

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Sep 14 13:20:33 EDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 12:39 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
[…]
> let's not fight too much over this, okay? It's clear that we're in a
> transition phase from 2.6 to 2.7. Python 2.7 really *is* the new floor
> for the Python3 branch, so once this gets merged back to "default" it's
> settled and done.

This wasn't fighting, this was just grumpy grumbling :-)

Given the below I think we probably should say 2.6 is the base version
of Python for default/tip pro tem…

> For the current development on the "default" branch we don't
> deliberately try to break 2.6 compatibility, as long as possible. This
> is mainly for the convenience of users that try the latest commits of
> the dev version, e.g. if bugs of the released 2.3.3 (which had 2.6 as
> floor) are fixed.
> So, if you can develop or fix something by using Python 2.6 lingo *and*
> it also works in Python 2.7+3.x, that's the preferred method at the moment.
> If you simply can't do without a Python 2.7 feature, then it's okay to
> introduce the break. But we're not talking about format specifiers here,
> but concepts in the range of "slots, metaclasses, functools,..."...well,
> I hope you get the idea.

So for me the question is whether to put integers into the {} of format
templates to satisfy 2.6. I think you already did this in one place,
there are others that need doing if 2.6 is the de facto base version in
default/tip.

> > People then started the issue of 2.6 compliance and a few changes have
> > been made to the default/tip codebase to support that, but currently
> > officially as far as I know the base is 2.7 and all the 2.6 fixes are
> > just making the code ugly.
> Just let the code be ugly. If most things still work for a user under
> 2.6, he certainly won't mind. ;)

What about tests and CI, which is where the rest of the problems
relating to my codes are.

> > Confusion is rife on this one now. :-(
> I hope my comments above made things a little clearer. To put it
> shortly, the current floors are:
>
> default branch  = 2.6 (as long as possible, before merging in python3
> support)
> python3 branch = 2.7

This is actually the first time this has been written down so
explicitly, so it is useful for this email to have been prompted and
written.

In light of this I should change the D tool tests. Hopefully they will
then run on the Debian Python 2.6 somewhat better than now.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk