[Scons-dev] Buildbot, Java and D...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Sep 14 06:39:04 EDT 2014

Hey guys,

On 14.09.2014 11:56, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-09-13 at 14:46 -0400, William Blevins wrote:
>> Just to clarify.
>>
>> I am assuming that the python3 baseline requires 2.7+, and the current 2.X
>> baseline is still supposed to support 2.6+.  If this is wrong, then I need
>> some clarification because "someone" informed me incorrectly or my memory
>> sucks or both.
> The decision was taken to make 2.7 the baseline for all of SCons. This
> would be helpful in going forward with a Python 2 and Python 3
> compatible codebase since lots of Python 3 is being backported to 2.7
> anyway.
let's not fight too much over this, okay? It's clear that we're in a
transition phase from 2.6 to 2.7. Python 2.7 really *is* the new floor
for the Python3 branch, so once this gets merged back to "default" it's
settled and done.

For the current development on the "default" branch we don't
deliberately try to break 2.6 compatibility, as long as possible. This
is mainly for the convenience of users that try the latest commits of
the dev version, e.g. if bugs of the released 2.3.3 (which had 2.6 as
floor) are fixed.
So, if you can develop or fix something by using Python 2.6 lingo *and*
it also works in Python 2.7+3.x, that's the preferred method at the moment.
If you simply can't do without a Python 2.7 feature, then it's okay to
introduce the break. But we're not talking about format specifiers here,
but concepts in the range of "slots, metaclasses, functools,..."...well,
I hope you get the idea.

> People then started the issue of 2.6 compliance and a few changes have
> been made to the default/tip codebase to support that, but currently
> officially as far as I know the base is 2.7 and all the 2.6 fixes are
> just making the code ugly.
Just let the code be ugly. If most things still work for a user under
2.6, he certainly won't mind. ;)

> Confusion is rife on this one now. :-(
I hope my comments above made things a little clearer. To put it
shortly, the current floors are:

default branch  = 2.6 (as long as possible, before merging in python3
support)
python3 branch = 2.7