[Scons-dev] Fwd: [Bitbucket] Pull request #119: Major revamp of the D language support (scons/scons)

Mark A. Flacy mflacy at verizon.net
Thu Mar 20 20:44:49 EDT 2014

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 05:46:18 AM anatoly techtonik wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> > P.S.: Just as an addendum, trying to provide an explanation for what I

> > wrote above...I see worse things every day, we're using ClearCase at

> > work. ;)

> Depends on the project. You probably use VCS just for storage.

That would be an incorrect deduction on your part.

We also use ClearCase (UCM, actually, with some other "stuff" a previous incarnation of the
company layered on top) for (runs off and counts) 15279 java files (plus other stuff).

Some of our files (mainly xml files not in the above count but there are a couple of java source
exceptions) are touched by damned near *everyone*, so the graphical version tree is rendered as
a sea of red merge lines going from one version bubble on a branch to some remote version
bubble on another branch.

No matter complex the graph, each version bubble has a maximum of two parents. And I can see
the delta between what's in the bubble and either of the two parents on demand. That delta tells
me what changed to as part of that changeset (or "activity" in ClearCase speak).

> I use it

> also for troubleshooting, so the general rule - if you can't understand the

> flow of changes during review - what is the chance that you will understand

> it when everything goes down all of a sudden? If I have to revert a commit

> later, I need to be sure that there are no parts that are already critical

> for the other parts of the system.

Well, you look at the deltas along the path where the person was doing the development to pick
up the logic of the changes. Complex code interacting with other complex code is difficult to
maintain.

--
Mark A. Flacy