[Scons-dev] Fwd: [Bitbucket] Pull request #119: Major revamp of the D language support (scons/scons)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 22:46:18 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> Let graphs get messy and

> ugly, but this is what happens when you actually work with a VCS. Polishing,

> folding and rebasing commits only to make the history look pretty is not

> really required from my side...but let me stress this again, it's just my

> personal opinion.

> I really acknowledge and appreciate all the work that Russel, Gary and

> Martin have put into this. If you like a clean history better, fine...just

> continue. Especially if this removes your obvious doubts about whether

> Mercurial did the right thing ("This merge looks mixed up, it can't be

> right.").

> But you don't have to do it for me. ;)

> Best regards,

> Dirk

> P.S.: Just as an addendum, trying to provide an explanation for what I wrote

> above...I see worse things every day, we're using ClearCase at work. ;)

Depends on the project. You probably use VCS just for storage. I use it
also for troubleshooting, so the general rule - if you can't understand the
flow of changes during review - what is the chance that you will understand
it when everything goes down all of a sudden? If I have to revert a commit
later, I need to be sure that there are no parts that are already critical for
the other parts of the system.
--
anatoly t.