[Scons-dev] Fwd: [Bitbucket] Pull request #119: Major revamp of the D language support (scons/scons)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 03:54:17 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Mark A. Flacy <mflacy at verizon.net> wrote:

>> I use it

>> also for troubleshooting, so the general rule - if you can't understand

>> the

>> flow of changes during review - what is the chance that you will

>> understand

>> it when everything goes down all of a sudden? If I have to revert a commit

>> later, I need to be sure that there are no parts that are already critical

>> for the other parts of the system.

> Well, you look at the deltas along the path where the person was doing the

> development to pick up the logic of the changes. Complex code interacting

> with other complex code is difficult to maintain.

I'd like to see SCons developed in the direction of simple and maintainable
code. It is not a enterprise Java project, so people can split changes
into little
chunk and keep them incremental and manageable. Rebasing is a good
practice and only the person who wrote the code can properly rebase his
changes.

I admit that the process may not be as easy I'd like it to be and most merge
conflict resolution tools I know are somewhat confusing, but having a clean
and readable change is a benefit for everyone in a long term.

Corporate goals are release as soon as it can to the market and patch bugs
later. I've seen it too many times. Open source project survive quite often
because they are able to deliver something more stable and bug free.
--
anatoly t.