[Scons-dev] What to replace the wiki with?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sat Dec 13 09:06:37 EST 2014

Here's a wiki progress report.

* I've re-enabled the regular wiki, in read-only mode.  That way at least
people can see it.  Pair may take it down again but it's better than
nothing.
* I put up test versions of the wiki, converted to markdown, on both
bitbucket and github.
  - bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/FrontPage (this is
backed by an hg repo)
  - github: https://github.com/garyo/scons-wiki/wiki/FrontPage (this is
backed by a git repo)

IMHO, the bitbucket version looks better.  They both are functional.  They
both have online editors, and both allow specifying a list of approved
contributors who can edit directly, without making pull requests.  They are
both DVCS-backed and can accept pull requests (I think, haven't tried
that.)  I don't know much yet about searchability or TOCs.

Feel free to play with them (but don't expect your changes to persist
forever, these are just tests).  Please let me know what you find.

The conversion process to markdown was _definitely_ not perfect.  There are
many little errors and markup oddities that would need to be cleaned up by
hand.  Tables especially suffer, since Markdown's table support is minimal.
(there is no rowspan support for instance.)  There may be ways to fix the
conversion script and re-run the conversion as we find global conversion
issues.  The FrontPage looks particularly bad, but don't judge the
conversion process by that, since it has much more custom markup than most
of the regular pages.

-- Gary