[Scons-dev] What to replace the wiki with?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Dec 13 11:37:13 EST 2014

Gary,

On 13.12.2014 15:06, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
> Here's a wiki progress report.
>
> * I've re-enabled the regular wiki, in read-only mode. That way at
> least people can see it.  Pair may take it down again but it's better
> than nothing.
> * I put up test versions of the wiki, converted to markdown, on both
> bitbucket and github.
>   - bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/FrontPage (this
> is backed by an hg repo)
>   - github: https://github.com/garyo/scons-wiki/wiki/FrontPage (this
> is backed by a git repo)
>
> IMHO, the bitbucket version looks better.  They both are functional.
> They both have online editors, and both allow specifying a list of
> approved contributors who can edit directly, without making pull
> requests.  They are both DVCS-backed and can accept pull requests (I
> think, haven't tried that.)  I don't know much yet about searchability
> or TOCs.
>
> Feel free to play with them (but don't expect your changes to persist
> forever, these are just tests).  Please let me know what you find.

this is awesome! For me, both of the options look good enough to give
them a go. The "bitbucket" version is my winner, because it uses the
full page width for content. I think this is important, e.g. for places
where we quote source passages with longer lines...

One other thing I noticed is, that on the "SconsIsNotSlow" page the
attached files were successfully converted...but the images seem to be
missing. Maybe there is a convert option for that?
Otherwise, as I said above, it's perfectly good to start from here and
manually improve pages where required.