[Scons-dev] Working branches

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Oct 4 14:19:26 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-04 at 20:10 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
[…]

> hmmm, we probably should discuss (and then decide) how we want

> development to look like, once we have a working python3 branch. Will we

> continue to support both major versions 2.x and 3.x? If yes, in which

> direction (2->3 or 3->2) do we merge

> preferably, meaning: where do we do most of our development?

> Or does the 2.x stuff get abandoned and we care about Python 3.x only?

My preference is to have a single default branch that compiles under
Python 2.7 and Python 3.3 (and soon Python 3.4).

[…]

> I have my own repository "scons_experimental" for things like this. I

> pull from the SCons main repo whenever I feel the need to update, but

> never push back. So, I can merge freely and can also use named branches

> as much as I like...one for every "feature", basically.

> For features to be published, I create a patch and apply it to my clone

> of the main repo...then issue a pull request from there.

I have never got into MQ which may solve the problem. But using Ockham's
Razor, I'd prefer to have a single development branch in the mainline,
then I can use the same workflow that is already in place.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder