[Scons-dev] Working branches

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Oct 7 10:38:11 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 08:14 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
[…]

> Yes, that's correct (though much of the 2to3 stuff ought to be _basically_

> python2 compliant with some massaging).

there are various b'…' crept in and some other stuff. I haven't had time
to sit down and run things so this is really speculative waffle from me.

> > Step 1 is to put:

> > from __future__ import absolute_import, division, print_function,

> > unicode_literals

> > as the first statement in every code file and see what happens.

> Perhaps that's step 2 :-); I've already started on some print changes to

> handle unicode/string variation, per my last email.

Splendid :-)

> As for absolute_import, I'm not sure that's needed; isn't it better to use

> relative imports? I think Neal's changes already move in that direction.

> As for unicode_literals, I believe (?) that as of python3.3, u'xxx' works

> again, so that shouldn't matter. Let me know if not.

Python 3.3 does indeed allow u'…' as an alias for '…', this is one of
the factors why people don't try to be compatible with 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2
if I understand things correctly.

I had thought Python 3 demands absolute imports and relative imports do
not work properly, hence the absolute_import from the __future__.

> As for division, I guess we need to do that, but there's some work there to

> ensure we use // wherever we mean divide-and-floor (which is most of the

> time, in this type of code I think).

Sadly 2to3 or a human appears to have taken out all the
__future__.division imports. I think they go back.

[…]

> I was going to object that bookmarks don't get pushed, but apparently now

> they can be: http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Bookmarks/ says push -B

> <bookmark> pushes that bookmark and its changesets.

Martin Geisler and others have been pushing to get these features in
place so that Mercurial has a viable Git-style workflow capability.
Although, as I understand it Mercurial queues are splendid, only
hardened Mercurial folk know about it and use it.

> Since most pull requests come from the default branch, bookmarks are a good

> idea for naming what otherwise come in as nameless heads. In the python3

> case, though, would using a bookmarked head be significantly different

> workflow-wise (e.g. in how you maintain the D tool)?

I have a separate repository into which I merge the mainline and then
reconcile before pushing to the BitBucket clone – that people then clone
to get their SCons. This set up has worked for the few people that are
using it, but it is not viable long term really. This stuff needs
merging into the mainline. I guess though that no-one is looking to risk
it after the debacle last time. I have been pushing less on this as the
project I was going to use D for didn't go ahead, so I am not doing much
D at all just now.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder