[meteorite-list] CERTIFICATION OF AUTHENTICITY

Maurizio Eltri maurizio.eltri at libero.it
Wed Jul 27 03:50:15 EDT 2022

Hi Mark,

I am thinking that perhaps there are
interpretative rules that may vary from country
to country. At least here in Italy and a little
more generally in Europe, a certificate is an
important document and as such its value can only
be given if it is drawn up by a person or body
legally responsible for doing so. If everyone
could draw up any certificate on their own, it
certainly would no longer have the same value.
In the specific case you write "In this case the
seller is" certifying "the" authenticity "of the
meteorite he is selling." In this case the
document cannot define a certificate but rather a
self-certification or rather a self-declaration,
which are very different things.