[meteorite-list] CERTIFICATION OF AUTHENTICITY

Mark Lyon mark.lyon.iivy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 11:34:21 EDT 2022

I guess I am just not understanding how the word "certificate' is
misrepresenting anything.  I am not sure where the text you copied came
from or how it relates, but the word certificate is appropriate when a
specific entity is formally stating something.  In this case, the seller is
"certifying" the "authenticity" of the meteorite they are selling.  It is
correct usage.   The cards I use don't actually say "certificate of
authenticity" on them  but when customers ask about a "COA" I know what
they are talking about and don't see anything wrong with the term.  They
clearly know that it is the seller, and not some other entity, making the
claim that the item is authentic, so there is no problem of confusion of
what it means.  Regarding the issue of a "lack of seriousness" of the
seller, times change.  It could be that at one point people might have
found the term weird, but for new collectors a COA is just an assumed part
of a purchase.  If they asked for one and you said "I don't provide those,
but I have a label" that would indicate to them a lack of seriousness.  The
difference is that the term "label" doesn't imply that the seller is
vouching for the authenticity of something -- and although it is true the
owner would be responsible for mistakes whether he vouched for it or not,
there is really no downside to vouching for it, and it gives the buyer some
piece of mind to have a document providing provenance in which the seller
stated that the item was genuine.  But if you don't like the term
certificate of authenticity, don't use it on your cards -- I don't -- but
don't imply that there is anything incorrect or dishonest or unserious
about the term just because it doesn't appeal to you personally.