[meteorite-list] CERTIFICATION OF AUTHENTICITY

Alfredo Petrov alfredo at mindat.org
Sun Jul 24 14:27:22 EDT 2022

Meteorite "Certificates of Authenticity" are mainly just a marketing tool
to appeal to the general public, as in many cases they are printed by the
seller, so they are no different from any other seller-issued "product
guarantee", and are in fact unnecessary because, in most countries,
commercial law obliges sellers to provide accurate labeling for their
merchandise. So an honest seller will compensate a buyer for any
identification mistakes with or without a "certificate", and a dishonest
seller's "certificates" were worthless to begin with.
So at least in my personal opinion what I need from the seller is a *label*,
the more detailed the better, and using words like "Certificate of
Authenticity" does not impress me at all nor add any extra value to a
specimen.