[meteorite-list] CERTIFICATION OF AUTHENTICITY

Mark Lyon mark.lyon.iivy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:37:05 EDT 2022

Alfredo,

You can call a certificate of authenticity a "marketing tool" but at the
same time I feel it is as good of a description as any of what it is, and
it does have a function.  When you say that "in many cases they are printed
by the seller" that, to me, is the main point of them. They are like
labels, but labels that emphasize the information of the prior owner, so
they form a provenance chain.  So I always make sure I keep the COAs from
my pieces, so that I never misplace them, so that I can trace the ownership
chain as far back as I can.