[meteorite-list] What is this?

Sterling K. Webb sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 28 02:19:09 EST 2006

Hi,

    This is a strictly "two-cents-worth" opinion,
since I have a stone that is a twin to this one (at
least, photographically) except that it is only the
size of a very small ostrich egg: same shape, same
smooth finish, shiny black and dense, not native
to this limestone country I live in.

    It is no mystery. The glaciers brought it here,
but then finished it off in the immense and violent
outflow that poured forth when the Wisconsin
glaciation melted rapidly. The prolate spheroid
shape is produced by the stone "spinning" around
its longest axis in the high-speed flow and grinding
against everything else in the flow. River cobbles
are just as smooth but irregular, even polygonal.

    But if you spin it fast enough, as the Mississippi
must have flowed when it carved a 25-mile wide
channel with 200-foot cliffs on either side, this is
the shape you get. I found my little one in a gully
about ten miles down from where the face of the
glacier that sat on Illinois was. This gully wasn't
any Mississippi, but I bet it was cut through the
limestone in an hour or a day, like a Scablands
channel.

    Or, maybe, it's a Thunderbird egg...

Sterling K. Webb