[meteorite-list] What is this?

E.P. Grondine epgrondine at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 19:45:23 EST 2006

Hi Sterling,

I like your formation mechanism, but with a sudden
lake drainage and not a rapid melting, but the problem
here is that this stone was found in Moundsville, WVa.
True this is on the Ohio River, but it still seems
unusual, and clearly others thought so.

You have glacial erratics up by Hagerstown, Md, so its
entirely possible that one of the local valleys could
have held a lake which drained suddenly, maybe even
flowing down either Little or Big Grave Creek.

While not a meteorite, perhaps it could have been an
unusual stone collected or used long ago by the people
living there, but its likely we'll never know for
certain.

good hunting,
Ed

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>