[meteorite-list] What is this?

E.P. Grondine epgrondine at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 00:53:28 EST 2006

Hi Jim -

The remains at Moundsville are covered in my book "Man
and Impact in the Americas", and I have visited there
several times, inclusing tracing the Grave Creek trade
path. There was extensive Native American settlement
in the entire area (map page 133 Man and Impact in the
Americas).

Most of the mounds were pretty well leveled by 1894,
excepting the Main mound.  I have not visited the
other mound which you mention still exists.

I'm sure that maps from 1894 would show active
European cemeteries. These could be compared against
Schoolcraft's map.

The area was also very heavily industrialized by 1894,
so some industrial object can not be excluded.

Perhaps a buisness directory or town directory or some
such would allow identification of the individual in
the initials. Check with the genealogical section of
the library in Moundsville. (PS - They have a copy of
my book, available for free loan.)

As I mentioned before, I've never seen anything like
it.  The WVA archaeologists someimes meet at the
museum at the big mound, so you could stop by there
and check when they will be meeting. Or you might try
contacting them through the internet.

What material is the object composed of?

Ed