[meteorite-list] Dig Turns Up Little At Mysterious Newport Tower *except for a meteorite)

Mr EMan mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 23:17:28 EST 2006

--- Charlie Devine <moonrock25 at webtv.net> wrote:
Here are the 2 photos I posted last week, should
anyone care to comment based on photos alone:

Yeah I'll bite. The photos don't exclude this from
being a meteorite and the empty depressions might be
missing condrules. This doesn't look like an iron.

Yet again a little knowledge is dangerous.

"We don't know what it is so it must be a meteorite",
implying we on the dig are all knowing except for what
we don't know otherwise.

"We don't know what kind of meteorite it is so  ummmm
 awwww IT is A NICKEL IRON..." (I read that somewhere
in Popular Science). I guess we should give a little
more slack to those who's knowledge is limited to
Hollywood.

Today I saw a common concretion on EBay from Australia
that was identified as a meteorite by the local
Archeology Department. I understand that--When I find
a shard of Indian pottery I always consult a home
economics professor for identification.

This is a "nickel-iron" meteorite???-- Don't think so,
if you adhere to the definitions of the meteoritical
community.

Thanks for checking this out Charlie but a point of
caution. The Academic types don't like (ahem..)
Amateurs telling them anything that could threaten
their proclamations. When you got to the part of about
cutting and donating the 20% part I am sure they tuned
you out.

Elton