[meteorite-list] Dig Turns Up Little At MysteriousNewport Tower *except for a meteorite)

mark ford markf at ssl.gb.com
Mon Nov 27 08:17:14 EST 2006

Hi Charlie.

Good work there, well done for taking the time to go see the site.

Hopefully common sense will prevail, and it will be looked at by a lab.
Seems at the moment they just have a brown rock and nothing more. As for
them visually seeing 'evidence of melting', after 3000 years in damp
soil??? I would think this must be a mistake?

Do you know if they do any kind of tests than a visual, like a streak
test, magnet test etc etc?

We had a similar thing here in England UK, in the 1970's with the
Danebury meteorite, it was found buried in a Neolithic pit at Danebury
hillfort, it was supposedly classified by Oxford University as a
weathered chondrite, but no photos or write-ups can be found and the
original mass is missing, so not sure if it was a 'mistake' or not -
(The whole event Just has striking similarities to what you have been
looking at...)

Best
Mark Ford
BIMS