[meteorite-list] Dig Turns Up Little At Mysterious Newport Tower *except for a meteorite)

Charlie Devine moonrock25 at webtv.net
Tue Nov 28 10:21:15 EST 2006

Elton wrote:

     >"We don't know what it is so it must
     >be a meteorite", implying we on the
     >dig are all knowing except for what
     >we don't know otherwise.

Hello Elton,

Actually, Ron Barsted told me he based his
visual identification on "having seen and handled hundreds of meteorites
at the Tucson
Show every year."  I've never been to the Tucson Show, but if I'd had
the chance to examine the find, any visual ID I could make would have
been based on handling hundreds of meteorites over 20 years.  I don't
know how much of an advantage that makes, but I agree that the photos
alone indicate it is not a nickel-iron.

     >Thanks for checking this out Charlie
     >but a point of caution.  The Academic
     >types don't like (ahem..) Amateurs
     >telling them anything that could threaten
     >their proclamations.  When you got to the
     >part of about cutting and donating the
     >20% part I am sure they tuned you out.

Well, over the years I've certainly run into that attitude many times,
Elton.  On the other hand, I'm very slightly removed from amateur
status, being published in Native American petroglyph studies, among
other archaeological subjects.
So it's possible I was shown more respect that might otherwise have been
the case.  But I very much doubt it. The dig organizers made it quite
clear to me that their only interest was in doing the right thing,
including the 20% donation.  Further, it was their hope that the city of
Newport would eventually display the find at the headquarters of the
Newport Historical Society.
Odds are, of course, that it's a meteorwrong, since it's hard to beat
the odds.  But they were very happy to see me and happy to have heard
from other listmembers.  It will be up to ASU to give them the good or
bad news.  It would be a first for Rhode Island, so I'm hoping they beat
the odds.

Best wishes,
Charlie