[meteorite-list] Meteorite novels -gifts II

MexicoDoug MexicoDoug at aim.com
Mon Nov 27 22:44:05 EST 2006

Bucklebo Martin, thanks for the kind comments  -- I re-read my post,
your words and by all means did take one comment very much to heart.
I'm guilty for not giving further consideration to other meteoritically
interested cultures between those Germanic and ancients.  I think Ed
would be the better expert in that department on this side of the
Atlantic. You speak of the Aztecs as a culture with as rich of a
treatment of things meteoritic as the medieval traditions in your lands...
I'd like to know more about that!

I'd be interested in knowing what meteorites the Aztecs venerated, feared,
deified, or imbued with magical qualities.  Are you perhaps thinking of
Xocotl the Aztec god of fire and Dark and occult side of planet Venus?  I
think he was more likey born spewn from a volcano, of which there are many
in his territory, or as legend goes, a ball of feathers fell in a temple his
virgin mother then bore him and others.  So Xocotl's mother may have been
fertilized by a meteorite in a stretch of faith (the feathers could be
thought of as cometary)...but these are much further musings than others
I've made:-)

Maybe your reference is meant to consider the over 1.5 ton Casas Grandes
mummified Iron meteorite found in the ruins of the temple of a mysterious
peoples of Mexico and carted out to Philadelphia, USA.  I say mysterious
peoples as I don't think you can call them Aztecs with certainty, and they
may actually be somewhat Navajo.  Unfortunately, the information on that
culture is so scant, circumstantial and too inconclusive.  But the Casas
Grandes meteorite had fallen tens of thousands of years before that region
was populated.  Thus, at best, one can imagine that it was appreciated for
its heft and unique nearly indestructable properties.

The reason I'm not sure we can call that culture Aztec, is because the
business end of the great Aztec empire was generally disconnected and
geographically no where near the southern limits of that mysterious culture,
to make tribute payments to the empire.  In fact, it seems to just
mysteroiusly vanished without battle before the Spanish first appeared
anywhere on the scene.  There is contentious speculaion that that particular
culture was from northern New Mexico near Colorado, and Ed may be able to
add more on that subject.  It seems to me they were their own independent
culture eventually centered in Paquime, Chihuahua, very close to El Paso
Texas, where the meteorite was dug up.  Hopefully we can learn
more, but anything new will be an uphill battle the way the evidence is so
limited and thus dominated more by speculations.  I am not aware of too much
shared divinities as evidence of closeness between frescos of Aztecs and
this
culture though a minimal amount is no doubt in-common.

The the next meteoritic thing in my neck of the desert, sitting above the
northern tip of Mesoamerica, I can mention are the few tektites found way
down in the ancient Mayan city of Tikal - but that would be in Guatemala
already.  These unique chards which are mysteries themselves as no more
paired have been found after extensive scientific field work and study, and
they are generally Chicxulub era mintage.

What surprises me, is not the great deal of evidence of meteorites in the
Aztec and Mayan cities, but rather the lack of it.  I really would have
thought more references, stone monuments and mozaics, carvings could
have been passed along.  We're talking about a culture with debatably
as sophistiated astronomers and celestial timekeepers rivaling the
Europeans and Arabs during periods in their history.  I'd be very
interested to be reminded if I have missed any mythology here even
with the destruction here that has ensued there has been a great deal
of stoneworks preserved and I am unaware of meteorites and comets
showing on any of them despite the observatories and sophistication.

Martin, I appreciate your kind humility regarding the historical record of
Germanic accomplishments.  I wasn't referring to your Grimms' tale, but
rather the Grimms' "Star Money" which I posted the other day.  On the other
hand the accomplishments of Chinese, Arab, and Japanese, among others
certainly survived in some shapes and forms and deserve a more important
mention than I foolishly brushed by at 4:00 AM.  I think though you've
assumed a bit too much about my thoughts of rites and legend and today's
Germany as a nation.  My use of German- and Germanic was intended to cover
everyone from King Arthur to the Vikings, I hope Gauls (not sure are they
Germanic?), as well as the Barvarians...Am I wrong with this?  The qualities
of these peoples and their attraction to these metals for weapons, Excalibur
itself I mentioned, the sword legend would have pulled from a stone...etc...
Perhaps the Romans with the push for de-paganization most effectively
stiffled throughout the empire idolization of metals and weapons and that is
the simple reason - I don't know - that sounds like an Ed question..

But, since you mention from the enlightenment to Chladni's time for things
meteoritic, I'd say be careful not to be a fish in a fishbowl who doesn't
appreciate the water that surrounds him as we thirsty and envious cats are
looking in with our saucery eyes for a bite to eat.  Take explorers as
recent as Baron Alexander von Humboldt, who I think recovered
meteoritical iron originally from Chupaderos Mexico most probably a few
 short months _before_ the French fall in L'Aigle reached him.

Then, he went to visit his good friend Thomas Jefferson in Washington for
several weeks they managed to socialize many, many stimulating hours
their mutual satisfaction, and I fully suspect that Jefferson would have
been
 given the opportunity to see this, after their extensive scientific and
social
discussions.  Interestingly, L'Aigle must have been old news to Baron von
Humboldt once he traveled from Mexico to Washington DC, and Humboldt
was certainly up on the geological sciences from France (as a matter of fact
he and Jefferson even corresponded in French on ocassion). This puts a
different perspective entirely on Jefferson's famous satirical Yankee
comments, especially knowing the master politician and skilled manipulator
of the press in the new anarchy called representative democracy he
delighted in.  The Secretary of State had to offer the Baron a visa and
permit
to carry many scientific samplings from Latin America,  Any more info you
might have here? Would this have been discussed?  Was the iron meteorite
actually collected in 1803 by Humboldt, part of the bill of lading, or did
it
somehow get into his possession at a later date??  What was it initially
thought to be before further studies back home in Germany? These are
burning questions.  Humboldt helped Jefferson enough to plan together
the expedition for the Lousiana Purchase, and how to collect, I wonder if
they corresponded in 1807 about the Weston fall?

I even live near a nice street named after Humboldt in Mexico.   Less than
five short years in Latin America...the records of his 12 months of travels
throughout Mexico are no doubt archived with great precision somewhere in
Berlin and in scattered reprints in Mexico.  Which street in Munich is named
after a Mexican explorer :-) ?

Best wishes, Doug