[meteorite-list] Is this Libyan Desert Glass?

dellenit at aon.at dellenit at aon.at
Mon Nov 27 02:59:06 EST 2006

Hi Ann,

this is wind polished quartzite, i have seen this several times in nature, people thinking it is LDG. the reddish tint comes from iron.

best regards

Harald

----- Original von:  Impactika at aol.com:

pekka.savolainen at dlc.fi writes:
Norbert Classen kirjoitti:
> Peter  wrote:
>
>> the LDG of this seller looks a bit strange. Is it  real or fake?
>>
>> What do the experts  think?
>>
>>  http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcommon_murreQQhtZ-1
>
> I'm  certainly no expert for LDG, but this looks much like hyalithe to me,
>  i.e. opal, and not like LDG. The last piece on his list is surely no  LDG,
> either. Adding to that, this is a new seller from the land of fakes  (China)
> with minimal feedback - so buyers beware!
>
>  Best,
> Norbert

Also to me the specimens look like Hyalite,  which can be
found in large quantities in Fujian Province,  China.

http://www.mindat.org/loc-21240.html

best, pekka  s

I have seen quite a few pieces of LDG, and I have some on my site if you
want to compare.
But I have never seen Pink LDG!!

After fake moldavites, now it seems that we have fake LDG!
Great!     :-(

Anne M.  Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com