[meteorite-list] A very wierd meteorite. Any ideas what it is?

Thaddeus Besedin endophasy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 00:58:57 EST 2006

Joe,
  I have an NWA 869 cut whole stone (both halves) with a large black inclusion like the globose inclusion in your meteorite. In fact, I believe your stone to be an 869 as well. Breccias like this may incorporate carbonaceous material from impacts, and you may have some kind of shocked zone (or an Impact melted margin), but dark mafic mineral assemblages are also candidates than carbonaceous material for incorporation into O.C breccias, although statistically, individual carbonaceous asteroids are much more plentiful than non-carbonaceous bodies.
  -thaddeus

Joe <kerchner420 at yahoo.com> wrote:
          Hello evryone,

   I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a meteorite like this? It seems to be like 25% Carbonacous and 75% O.C..
I was thinking it may be duel lithogy, but have been told that the black part is from a huge inclusion or chondrule and this is just a piece of a larger one. These pieces weigh about 150+ grams total.
   The dark part smells of sulfur and has a different crust on it then the rest of the meteorite. Take a look and tell me what you think it may be. Thanks.

http://illinoismeteorites.com/duellithpage.htm

Thanks,
Joe Kerchner
illinoismeteorites.com

Sponsored Link

   Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro-*Terms