[meteorite-list] Handling rust problems after buying Irons

MexicoDoug MexicoDoug at aim.com
Mon Nov 20 15:23:18 EST 2006

Hiho Martinho,

Nice....Everything you say has an element of truth and you have
conditionally agreed with everything I say as well !

So here we have a case of questioning holy absolute sellers' rights and me
saying check whether the seller hid something to fairly assess this.  We
don't think that happened.  I think I was fair-handed in pointing out
something the buyer did that bothered me and you were mute upon.  Dead
pelicans aside, I will rise to the continued challenge for the record:

"Ocassionally, folks need to listen to buyers' complaints (valid and invalid
alike) as a preventative measure to promote a healthy market and enjoyable
attitude toward meteorite collecting and enjoyment - a hard line attitude
with newbies squashes new entrants and has a dark side:  It stimulates those
dishonest members of the community to push the envelope well beyond your
subjective limits using the 'tough luck' attitude. "

Are you sure you are not being influenced by your preconceived or personally
known notions of either seller, buyer, or source material you may have
purchased for yourself or for resale from him?  You seem to know about or
have researched the Seller.  The major problem in this complaint is that the
seller ignored the subsequent emails of the buyer after the buyer wished to
clarify the initial response he got after buying not one, but four specimens
on different ocassions close in time.  I hope that complaint registered with
you.  If you know from personal experience that the seller's stuff is ok and
he is just inexperienced, fine, but don't expect everyone else to assume or
google that away !  As a matter of fact you probably are right...but most of
us can't know that.  I think he deserves that followup and I won't buy
silence is due to "worse English", but from what you say about him putting
the wrong locality description in the auctions, I can only sob.  Sob Sob.
Sob Sob Sob...

Then we get these disillusioning commercial situations of "My meteorites are
better that your meteorites", commercial crap, with every insult, avoidance
tactic, explicit or implied, etc., when the only thing that really matters
is honesty and knowledge of what the sample was improperly treated with.
The fact that there is variability in meteorite corrosion characteristics
does not excuse you or anyone for selling Morasko that was washed off in old
radiator fluid, or was marketed in a misleading way.   I don't suggest a
meteorite be something it isn't, perform what it can't, defy the laws of its
own natural physics and chemisty - but there is more to this than boldly
buying and selling pork belly options without ever having seen a pig.

Clear Irons,
Doug
PS  Ms. Buckleboo says she was thinking of you,  that you no longer sing her
praises...have you broken up, or is it because the chase is over and you
finally got a piece?  Maybe Sarah Jessica Parker has written a column on
this...(PS I bought the Meteorite Spoon)