[meteorite-list] Meteor showers and meteorite falls

MexicoDoug MexicoDoug at aim.com
Fri Nov 17 16:02:17 EST 2006

Doctor Death wrote:

"Somewhere I recall that the best time to watch meteors is around 4:00 am
where the Earth is facing foward in orbit."

"And the most likely time for a  retrivable fall is 4:00 pm when a meteorite
is approaching earth is catching up to it in orbit.  Kind of like retriving
bugs off the front and  back windshields. Anybody care to back me up on
this?"

Statistically I'm sure you're right, so I'll back you up.  If you run into a
uniform wind in your face when it is raining you get wetter and pelted
harder than if you run away...

If we say everything solar is traveling around with similar orders of
velocity as earth in its orbit (66,000 miles per hour - over 100,000
km/hour) this is true.  Of course if Earth's velocity were negligable it
wouldn't matter.  That's the difference with bugs which can't catch up to me
and still have enough flight enery to squash themselves on my rear
windshield when I drive , but meteoroids do catch up to the earth with
probability of some trigonometric function, calculated with relative speeds
and radiants...depending on the time of day.  I have consistently whipped
meteoroids and they are too afraid to respond to my dares, as well as bugs,
catching up, driving during the day - but it remains to be seen if
meteoroids can catch up.  Maybe I'll give them a handicap, drive east at
about 10PM at low latitude, and then check my radiator grill for chondrules
and inclusions...

Which brings up the other factor when observing meteors and which also comes
into play for bolide production and meteorites.  At the Vernal Equinox (the
first day of Spring), an observer north of the tropics see the least because
the "windshield" tilt adds to the angle, but on the first day of Autumn
(Autumnal Equinox) in the north, (s)he see the most meteors because the
"windshield"is tilted the least as we plow through our orbit.  A true,
efficient meteor hunter could always get a front seat if needed.  This
happens because earth is tilted.  So if you want to increase odds, consider
the benefits and drawbacks to work around Sept. 22, after midnight:-)

Actually the windshield of our great blue spaceship is the atmosphere, and
the the interstate highway out here follows a feeder ring outside of
downtown business end of the Solar System where people would be fried to a
crisp.  The route the spaceship follows could be called "Apex route" since
it follows the apex vector - the point connecting the center of the Earth
with the most forward point in the orbit which changes every instant during
rotation and revolution!

Best wishes, Doug
(hope I got this straight, and of course the non-random amount of meteoroid
seasonal congestion in earth's annual orbit will also have effect on rates)