[meteorite-list] Meteor showers and meteorite falls

Rob McCafferty rob_mccafferty at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 20:15:23 EST 2006

The range of speeds for incoming meteoroids is
12-72km/s. 12 being the escape velocity at the earth.
Any object moving with the earths speed and in the
same direction, if it were to collide with the earth
would fall at this speed. Any object travelling slower
than the earth will only hit the leading side at
12km/s plus the difference in orbital speed.
Particles travelling faster than the earth can hit
either side with 12+earths orbital speed + initial
orbital velocity. This initial orbital velocity can be
anything up to the escape velocity fr the suns
gravity.
I forget the earths orbital speed but the max speed
available is 72km/s and I undertand the leonids have
about this.
This is consistent with a high velocity trail coming
at us head on which explains the sharp peak on the
leading side of the earth.
The upshot of all this is that (like the car window
collecting randomly moving bugs), the earth collects
more detritus on it's leading side, so any random
meteor is more likely to be seen after Midnight local
time and I suppose, you ought to see big fireballs
more frequently in the early morning too (by which I
mean daylight)
Whether this leads to more recovered falls I couldn't
guess at. The requirements for recovery being quite a
narrow window of parameters, the high speed of those
hitting head on is likely to render them vapour well
before they become -ites. But I cannot be definitive
on this.

It is worth pointing out that while planets and
(generally) asteroids, all follow the same orbital
direction around the sun, comets can perform their
orbits from any direction. High above or below the
ecliptic and with or against the normal planetary
direction. This is why it is possible to have such a
large range of incoming speeds but it'll be comet
fragments which occupy the higher ranges only.

Rob McC