AW: AW: AW: [meteorite-list] Re: 13.5 kg lunar

Norbert Classen trifid at timewarp.de
Sun May 15 13:51:00 EDT 2005

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your most eloquent post. I see your point, but I also take the
liberty to disagree, at least for a part of it. In essence, you wrote:

> There is the little detail of haves and have nots and thousand-dollar
> a gram speculations. A have not cannot participate in that, lets not
> beat around the bush. We can make an exception for those with
> obsessive-compulsive collector behavior if you like, I guess though
> they would be best off skipping dinner to pay the psychiatrist. But
> you do need big bucks to be involved I hope you recognize.

The old "tertium non datur" actually is a very strong bias - applied to our
situation it would sound like "If you want a representative specimen of a
lunar meteorite you have to have the money to buy it, or else you're out of
the 'game'." There's always at least a third alternative. To get a specimen
for free (I gave away more than one good lunar specimen for free, and I also
received more than one for free), to trade for a specimen (I did this more
than once), or to go out and to find a lunar rock yourself (I actually did
that, too, and there were no big bucks involved). It isn't all about money -
neither in the positive sense, nor in the negative sense. It's all about
passion and intent, if you know what I mean.

> Please don't give up that ambition and dream to go to the Moon. Norbert,
> wasn't it Iceman that told Maverick "You can be my Wingman anytime!" ;-)

I didn't say I gave up that dream - I just said "it's two steps too far away
to follow", and to me that means that it isn't realistic to follow it now.
If the chance actually would arise, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to take
that chance. Maverick says "thanks" to Iceman.

Wishing you the very best, and the first Mexican or AZ lunaite find,
Norbert