[DogParkList] WinKeyer USB ?

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Sat Jul 18 19:20:24 EDT 2009

Hi Jonathan,

On 18-Jul-09, at 6:55 PM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

> FWIW - I would love this too...

> I tried it and works great.

Then this test program is the solution is it not ?

> I don't suppose K1EL supported it any more than Yaesu support their

> devices on the Mac (or PC).

When you spend thousands of dollars on a radio and it doesn't work,
they support it or you take it back.

When you buy a USB peripheral which requires a software driver and it
doesn't work; who do you call ? In a perfect world - the company you
paid your hard earned money to. In this world, they email me.

> I asked about WK support before but I guess its just not possible if

> Don doesn't have one there.

It's not impossible, I just don't want to support other people's
hardware on the Mac when they can't or won't.

microHAM sends me every new device they produce and have since day one
- because they WANT Mac users to buy their hardware. They also make
their engineering staff available to help solve Mac problems.

> I would've thought that interfacing info would be forthcoming from

> K1EL if it isn't already published on the web.

The interfacing is not the problem. It's answering the emails when it
doesn't work and the manufacturer says "Ohhh, a Mac, sorry, we don't
support the Mac". One single configuration or driver problem can eat
up days of time. Shouldn't the company that gets paid for that device
spend the time to support it ?

> I don't think he discriminates against any particular platforms (OSX

> or other) since Maclogger Deluxe (rather than DX, but linked to

> Don's website!) is already linked from their page which says which

> software supports it :)

It's not discrimination - he just has no interest in supporting his
devices on the Mac - His web site says that it should be easy, but do
you think they will reply to support emails from Mac users ?

> BTW Don - Tnx for the recent updates for eQSL and the propagation

> beacons - great stuff.

You are welcome Jonathan.

> MLDXv5 gets better and better.

Thanks,