[DogParkList] MacLoggerDX needs a facelift

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Tue Jul 29 06:45:15 EDT 2008

Hi Randall,

On 28-Jul-08, at 10:38 PM, Kenneth Perrin wrote:

> Hi Don,

> Ok I fixed 2 of the problems i was complaining about. Thanks for

> your help. So far no clacking. You have addressed 2 of the problems

> what about the rest of my post.

> 1) no grid map support

There won't be - it's not VHF logger and I have never claimed that it
was.

> 2) no indications when you work a new grid or dxcc

The awards tab is there to take care of that, also the DXCC count in
the Log Panel.

More importantly there are several forms of alert when a new DXCC
comes in that you haven't already worked.

> 3) no way to delete the address in the label printing area

The QSLS and QSLR flags take care of that.

> Below are some I did not mention in my post

> 4) the sorting of the log doesn't work correctly it should allow you

> to log worked stations one after another not post them at the

> bottom of the page. At the least a option to.

You can do that! you can sort by any field - ascending or descending -
Again - it's in the manual.

> 5) not enough filters for reporting

Templates have been provided to make this quick and painless...

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDXDB.html>

From there you can perform whatever searching, post processing or
report generation that you like.

> 6) no contest mode to clear screen clutter

Not in the cards.

> 7) no scalable fonts

Not anticipated.

> 8) unable to display log and dx cluster at the same time.

Not anticipated.

> 9) MLDX can crash while looking for the radio that is off.

Turn the radio on or turn the MacLoggerDX VFO check box off.

> 10) no way to print out grids worked or dxcc worked for the

> individual bands or all bands.

Not anticipated.

> Don, you must admit that the program has stayed the pretty much the

> same,

Thousands of bugs, enhancements and new drivers added (All of them
FREE since v3.5) - that's not "pretty much the same" to me as I was
the one working on it 24/7. I tried to keep the UI consistent so that
people wouldn't have to learn a new UI every few months.

> It is a good logging program not a perfect 5/5 the way it is. I

> realize that it is your baby and don't get me wrong you have done a

> fine job with it but I feel it could be a lot better. Radio control

> is only one part of the program. Keeping up with the new models I am

> sure is a lot of work along with fixing bugs that come up.

I could care less about your 3 out of 5 rating. What makes me want to
throw in the towel is your dismissive and uninformed heading: "Needs a
face lift" and the incredible amount of misinformation that you packed
into one review.

> I hope there are no hard feelings but the post on eham was my opinion,

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions no matter how misinformed
and inaccurate they are.

> A lot of hams post 5/5 and it clearly is not a perfect logging

> program.

By your own admission - you are more interested in VHF logging and
MacLogger isn't a VHF logging program - it also won't make coffe or
send your suits out to the cleaners.

> I believe it could come real close with a little more work.

Well it is not going to be custom designed for you - you couldn't
afford that kind of design work.

> The manual is lacking

How can you say that - you clearly didn't read it ?

> although you offer good support but digging for solutions takes time

> and emailing you with questions takes time as well.

You didn't even bother - you didn't even read the manual - you just
slagged it off in a public review that will be read by Hams all over
the world for years to come.

> I admit that I should have found the cluster clanking problem in the

> FAQ. But changing the call look up should be in the preferences

> panel in the area where you click on free lookup or QRZ cd.

It's an obvious popup for pete's sake ! no one else has had that
problem - the call book options are linked-to from the top page !

<http://dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/stationinfo.html#call_book_options

> How do you feel about the 10 points above?

I feel that they are your personal wish list and have little in common
with the requests I normally get.

It should be obvious that if I get the same request from 10 people I
tend to take it more seriously than a request I get from one person
who rather than email me and ask me directly writes a negative public
review.

> Are any of them something that you may consider adding or fixing in

> the near future?

You can't be serious ?

> Why improve on a program that has no competition really and works

> pretty well.

It has lots of competition - that is something else you didn't know.
Check out http://www.machamradio.com/ - there are 2 or 3 other Mac Ham
radio logging programs and I really wish you would check them out.

> Because more and more hams are buying macs. Competition will come

> and I would hope you would choose to compete not fold.

I have been doing this for more than 6 years but I never cease to be
amazed.