[DogParkList] Noise Part 2

Judd Sheets js at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Aug 26 11:56:02 EDT 2007

If the noise comes and goes with connecting and disconnecting the
antenna, the interference is very likely radiated and being picked up
by the antenna. If the noise is being radiated by common mode
currents on the USB cable, then placing a ferrite core on the cable
at the source of the current may help assuming the core is suitable
for the frequencies in question. It may take several cores or several
turns through a single core to provide enough common mode inductance
to prevent current flow and prevent radiation. Try listening for
reductions rather that total removal to see if you headed in the
right direction.

It is also possible that the radiation may be coming from the signal
conductors inside the cable, although most cables are shielded and
theoretically should not radiate. I would imagine there are big
differences in shielding quality between cables.

While Macs are better shielded than most computers, they all produce
a lot of EMI and the whole HF band can be affected. Anything that
uses AC signals can generate these signals can make EMI, even USB-
serial converters and the like. If chokes don't work, you may want to
try "sniffing" for the source of the RF by using a coax probe hooked
to the HF receiver. Strip off a couple inches of the jacket and braid
on the other end of the coax to act as a tiny antenna and run it
around and see where you find the most garbage. This test can be
misleading, but it can also give you insight into what is doing the
radiating. It's never an easy problem to diagnose.

Judd W4BUS