[DogParkList] Noise

EZ Rhino EZRhino at fastmovers.biz
Sat Aug 25 23:55:14 EDT 2007

Group,

I've been suffering through this same thing for a while. It took me
a while to figure out what it was...mostly because I'm a green ham,
not because it was difficult to figure out. (Not to be confused with
green eggs and ham.)

Initially I used some transformer E cores (very good ferrites) to
bring to noise down to the point where it wasn't so noticeable. I
wrapped the CiV cable around the core very near the interface box.
(I was using a Black Cat CiV; now using USB Interface II.)

That was the band aid fix. The problem for me was the simple fact
that my iMac transmits noise which is being picked up by the antenna
and sent into the radio. Grounding the computer didn't help
any...there was nothing wrong with Black Cat or USB Interface II
either. I think putting up my tower and beam a little further away
from the shack helped in my case. I've got some more emails in my
work computer on this subject; I'll look for them on Monday and see
if I can shed any more light on the subject.

I recall Mark B. from the 746 pro Yahoo group suggest hooking my
feedline to a dummy load (to ensure the coax is acting like coax) and
take the antenna out of the equation, then try to reproduce the noise.

Hope this helps,

Chris
KF7P