[DogParkList] MacDoppler Pro Lunar tracking?

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Sat Nov 4 16:29:25 EST 2006

Hi Dave,

On 4-Nov-06, at 4:04 PM, Dave hartzell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm curious about tracking the moon....I see that MacDoppler offers
> the "moon" as a satellite.  Another package I use (Predict) also
> offers tracking as a built-in option (e.g. no TLE updates).
>
> What I've noticed is that both of these packages have different (but
> close, e.g. +/- 6 degrees) Az/El values at any one time.
>
>> From my brief reading, TLEs are not offered by CelesTrak since the
> standard SGP4 algorithms do not apply to a large celestial body like
> the moon.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?

MacDoppler uses "Psuedo Keps" to calculate the moon's position.

If you are doing serious EME with low half-power beam width antennas
and precision antenna tracking I would recommend GM4JJJ's Macintosh
MoonSched

http://www.gm4jjj.co.uk/MoonSked/moonsked.htm

> 73s,
>
> Dave,
> N0TGD

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com