[DogParkList] MLDX with multiple locations for eQSL and LoTW

Lee J. Imber (KF2PC) Lee at kf2pc.org
Mon Jul 24 11:47:45 EDT 2006

Thanks Scott. Comments below and further questions below.

On Jul 21, 2006, at 9:33 AM, B. Scott Andersen wrote:

>  Hi all, Loving MLDX!
>
> As are we all!
>
>  OK a few questions.
>
> Here we go...
>
>> 1. I (for the 1st time) registered to eqsl.cc. I have a
>> number of eQSL's waiting for me.  How do I import the
>> "digital QSL" into MLDX? I see screenshots of a callsign
>> with the eqsl icon next to it but  not sure how you import
>> them from eqsl.cc.
>
> Rather than tell you what to do, I'll just tell you what I
> do and you can decide if that approach makes sense to you.
> I've been using eQSL for some time. I upload my log from
> MLDX periodically and have been working towards the awards.
>
> I do not try to move data back _from_ eQSL into MLDX. So,
> I'm not trying to capture the QSL card images or otherwise
> capture any information eQSL might hold (such as marking QSO
> entries in MLDX indicating that I've received an eQSL, for
> example).

OK, Yeah, if anyone knows how to import the digital eqsl card into MLDX
I would appreciate the help.

> It _is_ possible to have eQSL create a downloadable ADIF
> file for you from the contents of your "out box". This
> makes a nice back-up of your log!
>
>> 2. Are eQSL's "Legal Tender" In other words If I finish a
>> QSO can I just email the eqsl from MLDX right to that
>> person?  Does this count for all the ARRL awards?
>
> No. The good folks at eQSL worked the ARRL (as I understand
> it) and bent over backwards to try to make eQSL be the
> electronic arm for the ARRL. In the end, the ARRL decided it
> would be better if they did their own. <personal-viewSmells
> like NIH to me.</personal-view

Ouch! so eqsl's do not count for any of the ARRL awards.. <YUCK>
Seems like a bit of a pain. Suppose you working for dxcc on 10 meters
and you work a station, he sends you a eqsl but you need a real QSL card
or LOTW entry! Things seem to be getting complicated :(

> You can use the ARRL's Logbook of the World (LoTW) for ARRL
> awards. DXCC and WAS are currently supported. There has been
> some clamoring for support of VUCC, too, though that is not
> yet supported.
>
> I have joined eQSL and fully participate with the program. I
> have set up my LoTW account and fully particpate in that
> program, too. Once the accounts are set up, you just export
> an ADIF file from MLDX and use that file as input to the
> uploading process for both services.

Too bad they do not talk. This now makes double the work for us paper
chasers to keep track.

>> 3. Printing QSL cards from MLDX.  I have been printing
>> QSL's right from MLDX and love it.  I have been printing 1
>> card at a time then turning the paper around and printing
>> another card on the far end  of the paper to try to have
>> less waste. It seems that one could technically print 3 QSL
>> cards on a single 8.5 X 11 sheet.  Is this function in
>> MLDX?
>
> I should let Don Argo (MLDX developer) answer this, but in
> short: Don is currently revamping MacLoggerDX so it can be
> up-to-date with the latest Apple developer strategy.
> (Specifically, he's converting MLDX into a Cocoa application
> so it can run natively on both PPC architectures and on
> Intel chips). Until he's done with this conversion, he'll
> not consider any specific feature requests. So, hold on to
> your good ideas for now.

OK will do, I am compiling a list :)

>> 4. Multiple logs.
>
>> OK here is my dilemma, I was active from the state of
>> Maine for about 10 years (87-97) especially on 2M SSB.
>> Large number of Grids and states from FN54. I now live in NY
>> (FN31) and getting back on the air after being QRT for 10
>> years.  VUCC states that if your contacts are farther than
>> 150 miles the FN54 contacts are no longer valid from FN31.
>> So, I am starting all over  again. I have all my logs from
>> Maine (In a separate MLDX file) and I started a new file
>> from here in NY.  If I merge the 2 logs together I get all
>> my DXCC, WAS etc. but all my VUCC data will be combined and
>> not valid.  Any ideas on how to get around this?
>
> I have a log for each location I operate from. So, I have
> one for home, St. John USVI, Hawaii, Deer Isle Maine, etc. I
> have created separate accounts within eQSL and LotW for each
> location, too. Once you've set up one location, it is very
> easy to create new locations in both services. I have been
> careful to keep things separate--and both eQSL and LotW are
> set up to help me do that.

OK, this may be a possibility.

> Each location has a particular grid square, IOTA number,
> state, DXCC entity, etc., so awards calculations are easy
> for the software. So, I'm working towards eWAS and WAS
> from all my locations, for example. Each effort is
> tracked separately by the software because I've got
> multiple locations within each account.
>
>> OK, thats it for now. Once I get very comfortable and
>> familiar with MLDX I look forward to contributing ideas and
>> comments.

OK, two more questions.

1. I just downloaded 4.2.6 and when I unstuff it I get the 4.2.6
folder but finder shows the folder as empty.
There seems to be some permission issue. If I reboot the machine the
folder appears normal with all it contents viewable.

2. What is the right way to upgrade MLDX from a previous version?
unstuffing creates a new folder with the version number.
Do I just move my data file to the new folder? What about prefs?

Thanks again,

Lee