[DogParkList] MLDX with multiple locations for eQSL and LoTW

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Fri Jul 21 09:33:33 EDT 2006

 Hi all, Loving MLDX!

As are we all!

 OK a few questions.

Here we go...

> 1. I (for the 1st time) registered to eqsl.cc. I have a
> number of eQSL's waiting for me.  How do I import the
> "digital QSL" into MLDX? I see screenshots of a callsign
> with the eqsl icon next to it but  not sure how you import
> them from eqsl.cc.

Rather than tell you what to do, I'll just tell you what I
do and you can decide if that approach makes sense to you.
I've been using eQSL for some time. I upload my log from
MLDX periodically and have been working towards the awards.

I do not try to move data back _from_ eQSL into MLDX. So,
I'm not trying to capture the QSL card images or otherwise
capture any information eQSL might hold (such as marking QSO
entries in MLDX indicating that I've received an eQSL, for
example).

It _is_ possible to have eQSL create a downloadable ADIF
file for you from the contents of your "out box". This
makes a nice back-up of your log!

> 2. Are eQSL's "Legal Tender" In other words If I finish a
> QSO can I just email the eqsl from MLDX right to that
> person?  Does this count for all the ARRL awards?

No. The good folks at eQSL worked the ARRL (as I understand
it) and bent over backwards to try to make eQSL be the
electronic arm for the ARRL. In the end, the ARRL decided it
would be better if they did their own. <personal-viewSmells
like NIH to me.</personal-view

You can use the ARRL's Logbook of the World (LoTW) for ARRL
awards. DXCC and WAS are currently supported. There has been
some clamoring for support of VUCC, too, though that is not
yet supported.

I have joined eQSL and fully participate with the program. I
have set up my LoTW account and fully particpate in that
program, too. Once the accounts are set up, you just export
an ADIF file from MLDX and use that file as input to the
uploading process for both services.

> 3. Printing QSL cards from MLDX.  I have been printing
> QSL's right from MLDX and love it.  I have been printing 1
> card at a time then turning the paper around and printing
> another card on the far end  of the paper to try to have
> less waste. It seems that one could technically print 3 QSL
> cards on a single 8.5 X 11 sheet.  Is this function in
> MLDX?

I should let Don Argo (MLDX developer) answer this, but in
short: Don is currently revamping MacLoggerDX so it can be
up-to-date with the latest Apple developer strategy.
(Specifically, he's converting MLDX into a Cocoa application
so it can run natively on both PPC architectures and on
Intel chips). Until he's done with this conversion, he'll
not consider any specific feature requests. So, hold on to
your good ideas for now.

> 4. Multiple logs.

> OK here is my dilemma, I was active from the state of
> Maine for about 10 years (87-97) especially on 2M SSB.
> Large number of Grids and states from FN54. I now live in NY
> (FN31) and getting back on the air after being QRT for 10
> years.  VUCC states that if your contacts are farther than
> 150 miles the FN54 contacts are no longer valid from FN31.
> So, I am starting all over  again. I have all my logs from
> Maine (In a separate MLDX file) and I started a new file
> from here in NY.  If I merge the 2 logs together I get all
> my DXCC, WAS etc. but all my VUCC data will be combined and
> not valid.  Any ideas on how to get around this?

I have a log for each location I operate from. So, I have
one for home, St. John USVI, Hawaii, Deer Isle Maine, etc. I
have created separate accounts within eQSL and LotW for each
location, too. Once you've set up one location, it is very
easy to create new locations in both services. I have been
careful to keep things separate--and both eQSL and LotW are
set up to help me do that.

Each location has a particular grid square, IOTA number,
state, DXCC entity, etc., so awards calculations are easy
for the software. So, I'm working towards eWAS and WAS
from all my locations, for example. Each effort is
tracked separately by the software because I've got
multiple locations within each account.

> OK, thats it for now. Once I get very comfortable and
> familiar with MLDX I look forward to contributing ideas and
> comments.

> Thanks!
> Lee KF2PC

Hope to see you on the air! 73 de NE1RD.

-- Scott