[DogParkList] MacLoggerDX for Cocoa

Hal Mueller halmueller at mac.com
Wed Jun 7 20:51:29 EDT 2006

My first reaction when I read this was that you're going to have a
hard time making it much better because it is such a wonderful tool
already.

I would like to see better communication between MLDX and CocoaModem,
and have that information placed in the log.  Specifically, my radio
(Yaesu 857) doesn't know much about digital modes.  There is no way
for MLDX to query the radio and find out whether I'm doing fax, or
PSK31, or PSK63, or Hellschreiber.  MLDX logs those contacts simply
as "digital".  So my first choice would be to have Cocoamodem's mode
(and parameters?) copied into the log file.  As a second choice, I'd
like to be able to set the detailed mode in the MLDX window and have
that used as the default log entry (i.e. from now on when the radio
says "digital" log it as Hellschreiber).

I think the net management discussion has produced some great ideas.
I would add this:  For most nets, you have the same group of people
checking in--maybe a core of 50 people where you'll see 20 each
session.  So a window with the callsigns of everyone who has ever
checked in would be way cool.  This could be sorted by callsign, or
(the way we do it on our local emcomm net) sorted by callsign
suffix.  Then as people check in, NCS can just check the box next to
their name.  To soup it up even more, add columns for NCS to mark
"station has traffic", "station has passed its traffic", "station
wants afternet contact".  Being able to import a list of callsigns
(e.g. the roster of the local ARES group) would be nice too.

The frequency database in MLDX is phenomenal.  Could we have a way to
transfer a selected group of those freqs to MacMemoriesManager?
Could we have a way to import repeater lists from the ARRL CD
repeater directory?

I generally have Black Cat Systems' DX Toolbox running, too.  Pulling
some features of that software into MLDX would be nifty.  Read the
current frequency and power settings from my radio, and build a
propagation map using those actual settings plus current space
weather values.  Click on a callsign in my logbook and tell me
whether I should be able to talk to that person (and if so, on what
bands?).

If that propagation modeling capability is pulled in, then maybe you
could filter the DX Spots list based on whether I could realistically
talk to that contact.  Or maybe send me an email when a DX spot I'm
looking for comes in and the band appears to be open for me to reach it.

73
Hal
KE7BYN