[DogParkList] Re: DogParkList digest, Vol 2 #10 - 3 msgs

Don Agro dagro@dogparksoftware.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:55:04 -0500

Hi Terry,

On Feb 13, 2004, at 6:42 PM, Terrence R. Redding Ph.D. wrote:

> Latest version of MacLoggerDX.
>
> I just noticed that the latest version lists looking up the e-mail
> address
> from the CD as an addition.  I use to be able to pull e-mail addresses
> from
> the online database.  Am I to understand that now, that feature only
> works
> if you have the CD ROM in the computer?  That the program now only
> looks up
> e-mail addresses from the CD, and is no longer able to gather that
> information from the Internet?

As mentioned previously on this list:

QRZ has changed their web page and made the email addresses unreadable
by machine. They did this to prevent spambots from harvesting email
addresses and  annoying their customers. This is a good thing - but as
an indirect result MacLoggerDX can look up email addresses from the QRZ
CD-Rom but not from the internet. I have posted a beta which stops the
internet "Show email address" message from overwriting a valid email
address found on the CD.

> Of course I don't know what issues compelled that decision, but I will
> miss
> the ability to look the e-mail information up from the Internet.  Even
> with
> the information coming from the Internet I note that a good portion of
> the
> time the e-mail address is not current.  I suspect the e-mail address
> from
> the CD will more likely to be out of date than the information stored
> on the
> net.

This is just part of the continuing battle against spammers and I have
no control over it.

> The same is true for images.  As I understand it, the image displayed
> is
> drawn from the CD and never from the Internet.  I wish the reverse
> were an
> option.  I posted my image and information at QRZ.COM and would be
> pleased
> to see that information looked up and displayed by MacLoggerDX.

There is a limit to how much we can take from the QRZ internet site
without displaying their advertisements don't you think ? Especially
considering that QRZ is the ONLY Ham call book CD manufacturer to
support Mac users.

> Since that information is posted by the individual hams to be
> distributed
> via the Internet and viewed in browsers, why not make it also available
> through MacLoggerDX?

For the reason mentioned above.

> BYW, a few times now I have tried to enter a stations e-mail address
> in the
> e-mail address field and while it appears to be in the field, it was
> not
> used when I generated a eQSL card, and also was not saved when I
> logged the
> QSO.  I haven't tried it in the latest version, but hope the e-mail
> data
> field can now be modified, saved and used when generating an eQSL card.
>
> Terry

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro@dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark@mac.com