[DogParkList] EchoMac

Thomas Sundstrom trscons@bellatlantic.net
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:23:19 -0500

For Bob Ross and Steve Palm, and others dealing with audio issues and=20
EchoMac, let me toss in some ideas or suggestions for whatever they may=20=

be worth. I use an iMac G4/800MHz/1Gb with a 17" screen; the built-in=20
iMac microphone is OK but not satisfactory for me. I am using, for the=20=

moment, OS X 10.2.8 but will probably make the change to Jaguar in a=20
month or so.

Item 1 - Audio
-------------------

I found a wonderful microphone in the Sony ECM-ZS90. Etronics not only=20=

had the best price but they were easy to deal with, and quick on=20
delivery (I have no vested interest in the firm):=20
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=3Dsonecmz90

Your USB needs are probably different than mine, but Griffin Technology=20=

had the supplemental connector toys: a 4-port hub optimized for audio [=20=

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/usbaudio_hub/ ] and an=20
interface to allow the connection of a microphone or any sound input=20
device [ http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/ ]. You can=20
order directly from the company; service was quick and reliable.

The bottom line is that people who know me, and knew how I sounded when=20=

I first wrote [ http://trsc.com/bibliography.html#rc ] about Mark=20
Brown's Repeater Link in 1996, say that the audio quality is excellent.

Item 2 - Publicity
----------------------

N9YTY's EchoMac is a secret the ham radio world needs to know about:

I've been featuring it from time to time in the new Australian ham=20
radio magazine ESR [ Electronics-Science-Radio :=20
http://www.esr-mag.com/ ]  column "Baudwalking". ESR filled the void=20
left by Radio and Communications which I had written for since 1995.

I feature EchoMac on an introductory page to linking repeaters [=20
http://trsc.com/ref_repeater_linking.html ] designed to help beginners=20=

get started at the ground floor. (In my opinion too many other pages on=20=

other Web sites assume prior knowledge.)

VoIP and EchoMac is mentioned throughout our other Web site=20
http://w2xq.com, crosslinked back to trsc.com pages.

Feedback, suggestions for explanatory material, requests for help with=20=

the EchoMac software, literature, related Web pages, links -- that=20
would be helpful to N9YTY and users of EchoMac, are welcome. We'll turn=20=

the input into output for all to benefit unless you indicate something=20=

is private or confidential (and we absolutely honor same in our=20
writings going back to 1966).

73, Happy New Year...
Tom Sundstrom W2XQ
baudwalk@esr-mag.com | Echolink node #2161| StarChat IRC #swl=20
#baudwalking
Contributing Editor, Baudwalking, ESR Mag
Contributing Editor, Radio Netherlands Media Network